Thursday, December 27, 2007

After Christmas

Well, Christmas has come and gone... and I've been slacking in my posts again. I guess I've not felt too inspired to post lately, or maybe I'm just too lazy too post,.. or maybe its that my media time has been spent doing other things. "Media time" you ask? Yes, media time. There is some research out there that says each individual has a set amount of time they will spend on media consumption/use per week. Of course it varies, but within a very small range (tolerance). Of that designated weekly media time, a person will switch between media.

For instance, if my media time is 20 hours a week, one week I might spend 15 of it online and 5 of it watching television = total, 20 hours. Another week I might spend 12 of it online, 3 of it reading, 3 watching television, and 2 listening to the radio - for a total of 20. Etc. So lately, I've been spending more of my media time online gaming than I have watching television or posting and reading blogs.

So far, Christmas break has been good. Our dear friends Thomas and Hiromi with their son Theo came and visited us from Texas. Its always great to see them. They're great folks! Thomas and I talked all about robots. He builds them for competition stuff. I just admire them and think of new ways to do mechanical things. I guess that comes from my designer background, but I love figuring out new ways to do things mechanically. I know this sounds odd to those of you that know me personally, because I'm not good with automobiles. I always take my vehicles to a shop. The only work I've ever done on cars was to replace a starter, alternator, or something like that. But I have a good grasp of what will work and what is impossible and I can envision things, how they would work, and then draw the designs.

To be honest, I'd love to learn how to weld, and I wish I were more mechanically inclined with my hands. I've been thinking some time now about making a human-powered helicopter. There's a competition that awards thousands of dollars if you can get one to stay aloft more than ONE minute. Yes,... ONE. There are a lot of challenges in accomplishing this, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately. I also want to create a human-electric powered car, but the electronics of it is a bit beyond my ability. But I have some ideas I think would be awesome in application.

Santa was good to me. I raked in all kinds of uber loot. I'm looking forward to playing "Scene It - Movie edition" soon! And I'm very happy about my new Mage T-shirt my friend V got me (I've worn it twice already - hehe)! I'm also pretty stoked that I got a new backpack for my Magic cards & RPG books. The old one I was carrying to those sessions was getting a bit ratty.

Today, Caryl arrived from Boston, N's old college roommate. She'll be staying with us for a few days. She hasn't seen the new house yet. I wonder what she'll think - being that she pays more than my house payment for rent on a small apartment. Gotta love the South! ;)

Well,... Happy Holidays to you all! More again next time..... Peace!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are having a good break. Enjoy it cause I think that when school reconvenes you are going to busier than a cat covering crap on a marble floor. Teaching and being a student at the same time can be quite hectic (personal experience)