Friday, January 13, 2006

Grind Grind Grind

Obviously, I'm back to the Grind of things at work. At least I have some variety this semester, what with 2 new classes and all. I'm teaching 2 x Public Speaking, 1 x Public Speaking for Health Professionals, and 1 x Play & Technology. So far I'm having fun in all of the classes. Is that a bad thing? I hope not. If so, tough shit, life goes on. I'll have fun if I want to, damnit! If students want to learn and have fun too, then great! If not, maybe I'll just have to "encourage" them to do better.

I wonder how teachers "encouraged" kids in the olden days... whips? chains? paddles with nails and holes for faster swings? maybe even ruler lashings on the wrists? hmm... Today it is pretty mild in comparison I guess. Only bad grades and verbal warnings with emotion. Damn wimps of the politically correct system. Down with the man!

I guess in some ways though "the man" is good,.. but in other ways he can be a pain. It's like my friend Saad Ali from Pakistan once told me. We were living in the GSU Village and there was a suburban pumping bass so loud it made our window shake on the 3rd floor. Saad and I both had a headache as we peered out of the window to see if he was within egg-throwing distance. Saad told me that the loud bass bullshit would not last in Pakistan more than 3 minutes or so. When I asked why that was, he replied that within 3 minutes' time the suburban would've been bombed, set on fire, or at the very least shot at. "Holy crap" I thought.... what a great way for things to be and what a bad way at the same time. I gues "the man" can stay, but damnit he needs to stop that loud bass bullshit more often than he does.

Anyway, so far it is turning out to be a great semester. My friend Vic hooked me up with a new monitor and keyboard and mouse. Thanks! I can actually read articles on my screen now instead of printing them out!!! :) It's raining today on Friday 13th (I heard it was going to hail). But despite the dreary exterior, I have a positive outlook. And yeah, that guy in the suburban was pissed that he got a baker's dozen. :p Have a great weekend all!

3 comments:

Vic said...

You are more than welcome for the new goods. I hope you've learned two lessons:
1. Don't suffer in silence.
2. You can't get what you don't ask for.
Happy weekend. You inspire me by caring about your students. Oh yeah, I know you do! :)

Raene said...

*hugs*

I've been known to want to do that to some SUVs in my time.

I fear karma though. I feel like whenever I plot evil twisted things (like to my ex when I was going through the divorce) that somehow it would all eventually catch up to me.

So I usually meek it out.

HUZZAH for you!!!

Veloche said...

I care about my students? Damnit woman, don't tell anyone!!! And as for not getting what I don't ask for ... umm ..... can you write the questions for me?!? hehe [evil grin]

As for the meek,... will they truly inherit the Earth? I think they're more prone to getting shit on. At least that's what happened in my divorce. LOL Thanks for the Huzzah,.. I guess I'm p[ast the point of being meek about everything (only a few things, hehe).
:)