Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Getting Laid Off is not as good as Getting Laid.

Ugh, I got a letter the other day stating that after spring semester I won't have a job. I don't know what I'm gonna do.

And to think I'm host / coordinator of a Public Speaking contest this semester (that I alone created!!! And solicited funding to the tune of $1,000 a year to give students prizes!!),... in addition to teaching FIVE classes!

PLUS, I'm THE technical guy of the department, the one figuring out how to transition from VHS recordings of speeches (you know, with those bigass VHS camcorders) to Digital recordings (with new cameras I suggested we order) in order to PODCAST the speeches! >.<

PLUS, I'm the guy that came up with and created a viewing lab for students so they would have a place to watch their recorded speeches if they didn't have the capability at home or in their dorm.

PLUS, I'm THE guy everyone in the department goes to in order to figure out how to get their classes in WebCT so they can do online grading, etc.!!! I host an annual "WebCT for teachers of Public Speaking" workshop AND I setup individual appointments with half the public speaking teachers to help them each semester!

PLUS, I'm one of the 3 coordinators at UWG for hosting the 2009 Georgia Communication Association conference! I'm one of three guys that took the initiative to bring the conference to our University and will be working it in February!!

Some damn nerve they have firing me.. oh excuse me,.. laying me off due to "budget cuts." Yeah RIGHT,.. it had nothing to do with hiring 3 new tenure track people with big salaries or with buying ALL the tenured track folks brand new office furniture in the middle of a State mandated budget cut! >.<

AND,.. I found out today that the "interim department chair" that is not renewing my contract KNEW I wouldn't be getting a new contract for next year about a MONTH ago at LEAST. But of course she didn't tell me. Why? Because if she told me any sooner than a week before classes start, she was afraid I might find another job, and then take it, leaving her in a lurch THIS semester trying to find someone to cover my classes. Nice of her, huh?!?

Great,... now I have to find a job by next April that will hire me at the end of my contract (unless I can find one by Friday which is when I sign this year's contract). Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a good job and say to the new employer, "I'm going to love this job,.. but can you make my start date the end of next April?"?!?!?!?!?

UGH! I am FURIOUS!!!

Someone hug me please... before I fucking explode.

3 comments:

Raene said...

*hugs* hon. Things are tough all around, but it's not fair that they've spent all this money and then can't keep you.

Anonymous said...

Hugs (I will ask a friend to deliver).
This sucks. For some reason I do not see you busting your ass on extra curriculars this year. What would they do if you started and then gave them the respect they gave you and tell them right before Spring semester to eff off.

Average Chick said...

HUUUGGS!!!! I can so totally relate to you right now! You aren't alone! I've been going through a similar situation except they didn't hand me the pink slip. They are just making my life miserable enough so I will quit so they don't have to pay unemployement. You aren't alone!