Thursday, January 11, 2007

New Year

Well, I'm officially over the Christmas Blues. Yay! Thank God that's over, eh? ;) So, what's going on with me lately? Here are a few things:

I recently applied for a promotion at work and it was between myself and one other person. The other person got the promotion. Even though the other person has been there a lot longer and had a higher degree than I do, I feel I've done more for the specific group this promotion was to deal with and think I'd be better in that particular position. I also think if I'd gotten the promotion the other person would've left to go work elsewhere. I can't say as I blame the boss, as I very well might do what he did, figuring on this way as a way to keep both employees - for now. Overall, I'm okay with it, although it does make me consider my perceived worth at this institution. As it stands, my salary is extremely low. I understand we've been under some serious budget cuts in the past several years, and I understand higher education pays "a dime a dozen" instructors crap for pay. I also LOVE my job of teaching, but it does irk me knowing many jobs for uneducated workers earn MUCH more pay than I get for a job that requires a Master's degree.

Also, as a late Christmas present, I ordered a Roomba - you know, those robotic vaccuums? Roomba is awesome so far! I've only had it 2 days now but wow, he sure picks up a lot of stuff from the carpet.

The semester has started and so far it seems like I have a decent batch of students. I hope all goes well with them and I hope they make excellent grades by giving me good, quality work. :)

The weather outside is really turning colder and I've been slowly working on raking up the remains of what was a forest in my backyard. The decaying leaves and roots are about 4-5 inches thick and it takes a lot of energy just to rake up a little bit into a pile. I have a feeling the backyard MIGHT get done by springtime. =/ Maybe I'll hire a few day laborers to come rake when it gets closer to spring. I want to plant grass so one day it will look like a nice green yard instead of a brown disaster area.

In gaming news, I've been raiding a lot again. My main character is now able to go to a place called "Naxxramas" which is a higher and more difficult area than we've ever attempted before. Tonight we tried a boss we've never killed before and got it down to 41% as our best try. I'm confident we'll get him dead soon, as I believe we've figured out the strategy to defeat him already.

On a personal note, I really want to lose some weight. I am uncomfortable with myself again. I tend to go in cycles that are several years long. I build up slowly to a weight that makes me uncomfortable, then I lose weight over a year or two, then the cycle repeats. Here's looking ahead to a slimming new year. This isn't a resolution, as I don't formally make those, but it is a hope. ;)

I also wish YOU all the best in this new year. Thanks for sticking with me. :D

3 comments:

Raene said...

*hugs* hon :) Wish you lived closer, you and I could go walkin'

Anonymous said...

I have found that if you leave the leaves alone they will eventually go away. Normally when you (or your "day laborers" cut the grass for the first time in the Spring. When the neighbors whine I accuse them of not being Earth friendly and letting the leaves and other "natural" stuff go back to Earth the way it is intended.
Wouldn't it be great if there were a WOW diet where the more you played the more you lost?

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that...
O well it was probably for the best!

A ROOMBA! How awesome!!!!

Glad you think you got some decent students... you know how some can be... ; )

well if you want some cheap labor I know some desperate friends that would do that stuff for pretty cheap...

A place called "Naxxramas" sounds nifty and hard to get 2...