Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Rock-N-Roll never dies - It just changes venues!



Yesterday I was driving to work and I was flipping through the radio stations. I stopped because I came across some Huey Lewis and the News. They were playing "Heart and Soul" - a great song with a hard driving guitar lick. "Dum Dum Du Dum Dum Dumm Dumm Dummmmmm - She's Heart and Sooouuuull!" Damn that's good. You sing it Huey. Fuckin' A!

I wait until the song is over and then I hear the station I.D. .... [drum roll please] .... it was on the fucking LIGHT FM station!!!! NOoooooooooooooooooo!!!!! Say it isn't so! That's just not right! Damnit, Rod Stewart I can understand, but NOT Huey Lewis' Heart and Soul, No Way!!!

Immediately I thought back to my Dad telling me when I was a kid about how mad he was that he heard Neil Diamond and Neil Young both on a Light FM station. Heart and Soul is a ROCK song! It has a hard hitting guitar lick! It belongs on a ROCK station! Damnit, I AM NOT that old yet!!!! If I had heard him in an elevator I think I would've died right then and there. A Light FM station was bad enough. Ugh. Don't worry, Huey, it's still rock-n-roll to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's really funny is that I hear that one ballad by Extreme played on there. It gives me a laugh to think of some of these women who listen to "light" music going out and buying that CD (or Uncle Kracker) and getting one hell of a surprise when they hear heavy metal. (giggles)

Before Z-93 became Dave FM, I turned it on one day to hear them playing Stone Temple Pilots, one of my favorite bands. I couldn't believe that they were being played on the classic rock station ALREADY! I actually felt kind of old.

Anonymous said...

Get used to it, I've heard The Cure on elevator music. It was pretty traumatic :)

Veloche said...

Wow, that is scary. I've seen both STP and The Cure in concert. =/ I think I'll go cry now. hehe :p