Thursday, June 14, 2007

SHhhhhhh! Be vewwy vewwy quiet!


I'm hunting... JOBS!

I'm really sick of the bullshit people in academia try to get away with.

Let's just SAY there's this person that everyone agrees messed up a job she had before. Someone filled the position that was wonderful at it and straightened some things out, thank goodness. That's great. Then the boss of that person's position is fired because he didn't do anything he was supposed to, that's good - leaving an interim boss, that's good too. But then that wonderful person leaves for more money, that's bad. And then the interim boss starts doing crazy shit like APPOINTING a person to fill the position withOUT consulting the faculty that are under that person's supervision, or anyone else!!!! That's VERY bad! It turns out the person appointed is the person that messed things up in the first place, that's bad too. Still following along?

Why oh why does there have to be so much damn drama in academia? These people are supposed to be well-rounded in culture, life, and education, and yet they make some stupid decisions. And its NOT just this one instance. I see it happen all the time. I think there should be a requirement of HAVING to work in the REAL corporate world FIRST, before ever getting a job in academia. And I'm not talking about being a sandwich artist, either. I mean corporate America, where if you mess things up you're held accountable! In corporate America we strive for efficiency. Somewhere along the lines, efficiency got LOST in much of academia.


Certainly this crap isn't the only reason I've pulled out the shotgun and put on my Elmer Fudd cap, but they do contribute to the reasoning. There are a few more reasons:


Money: I found out my institution pays its "temporary instructors" (that's me) $9,000 LESS a year than the national average for this position. Meanwhile, the same institution pays professors $12,000 MORE a year than the national average for those positions. No wonder they can't keep instructors. And they wonder why they can't hold on to the good ones. DUH, you asshats, get a clue and rearrange the freakin budget!


Desire: I've wanted for a long time to get into a corporate PR-type position. I feel I've waited long enough. I'm going to try and find one that suits me well. Wish me luck! :)


Now, let me get back to my hunting...........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck buddy. Hope you find what you want. A job where you don't have to wear a tie and don't have to be in until 10 AM. I too am sick of what I do but do not currently have the financial wherewithal (nor the balls) to start another career (it would be # 3 for me and at 57 it is tough to get hired). Been told that the skool has made some really bad decisons lately. Sounds like they are more concerned with political correctness and being a research institution than they are about actually taking care of their students.