Sunday, March 11, 2007

Grass & Weeds


Like every stage of life we have both grass and weeds. Sometimes the weeds flourish so much they take over everything and begin to look beautiful. Sometimes the grass takes over and really creates a 'lawn'. As the proverb says, the grass is always greener on the other side. Well in this case, it isn't a lie. The grass really is greener on the other side because well,... my grass sucks.

I have so many weeds in my yard its crazy. I know the developer just put in the cheapest grass he could find and obviously that cheapass grass was full of weeds. Now the challenge is getting rid of all those weeds, trying to cultivate a healthy yard, and making it look like it ought to look - like grass instead of a hodgepodge of various green plantlife posing as grass.
Any tips? I've used disease control granules, fertilizer, weed killers of various sorts, and still have a mixed variety. I've been contemplating hiring one of those chemical lawn treatment companies, but I'd like some advice from those that have done so already. Anyone used these companies before? Any tips for dealing with them? Advice and/or commentary is appreciated!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have found that Agent Orange works well in most circumstances. Actually, I live in GA where it can be a bear. Found that a couple of good soakings with Ortho Weed Be Gone and a few applications of Weed & Feed (granules to spread) will work well. I also mix fireant killer in with the spredable stuff just to stay ahead of the game.
One last trick is to spray your Weed Be Gone about halfway into your neighbors' yards. This way their crap doesn't blow into your yard.
Or you could just let it stay and say it is a sign from the Lord. If He wanted you to have a nice lawn, He would provide.